atom feed26 messages in org.blender.bf-committersRe: [Bf-committers] Current state of ...
FromSent OnAttachments
Daniel StokesApr 21, 2016 3:07 pm
Paweł ŁyczkowskiApr 21, 2016 3:28 pm
Daniel StokesApr 21, 2016 4:49 pm
Jacob MerrillApr 21, 2016 8:40 pm
Ton RoosendaalApr 22, 2016 1:50 am
Fabien DevauxApr 22, 2016 3:00 am
Doeke WartenaApr 22, 2016 4:08 am
Owen Hogarth IIApr 22, 2016 4:49 am
Rain GloomApr 22, 2016 5:34 am
Duaret Ramos SapoApr 22, 2016 5:37 am
homacApr 22, 2016 1:39 pm
KnappApr 22, 2016 3:08 pm
Fabien DevauxApr 23, 2016 3:16 am
hewi jupamaApr 28, 2016 4:59 am
Ton RoosendaalApr 28, 2016 5:13 am
Ton RoosendaalApr 28, 2016 5:17 am
blubee blubeemeApr 28, 2016 5:19 am
Doeke WartenaApr 28, 2016 6:38 am
IchthyostegaApr 28, 2016 9:04 am
TARDIS MakerApr 28, 2016 9:11 am
José RicarteApr 28, 2016 10:13 am
Harley AchesonApr 28, 2016 10:41 am
Dahlia TrimbleApr 28, 2016 11:38 am
IchthyostegaApr 28, 2016 5:55 pm
IchthyostegaApr 28, 2016 5:58 pm
KnappMay 6, 2016 7:49 am
Subject:Re: [Bf-committers] Current state of Blender's user experience
From:Ichthyostega (pr@ichthyostega.de)
Date:Apr 28, 2016 9:04:40 am
List:org.blender.bf-committers

On 28.04.2016 14:17, Ton Roosendaal wrote:

Mondrian on Eindhoven station: "Convention, a sort of memory, is the biggest obstacle to enjoy life and art."

OK, then lets consider, what makes most people fall for conventions sooner or later?

You might call it simplification, or, if growing older, just a state of being worn out. You had had that discussion over and over again, you know, those kind of discussions where arguments go circle forever. Arguments, which in fact are choices taken by some person and then dressed up in the form of logic, to make them look irrefutable.

CamelCase or underscores. Right-click select or Left-click select. Tabs or spaces for indentation. BEGIN-END or curly braces. Functional vs Object-oriented Indeed, each of those *do make a difference*, but all you can do is pick one side and then look how the rest of the world looks when taken from that side.

Which brings up another aspect: patterns of behaviour, and conditioning, both mental and physical. These allow you to fold away a whole system of complex relationships behind a single notion. To move and play with those, without exceeding our, always, at any time very limited mental capabilities.

What is labelled "convention" often in fact indicates a whole system of interconnected patterns, patterns of thinking and acting, a pattern language. Those empower the people living within that system, they create an distinct environment -- but there is an inevitable flip side of the coin: they shadow other options, you loose possibilities that would have been open, had you connected the paths in a different way. Which brings us back to Mondrian.

Not much we can do about it. You have to take your place, make your choices, at least for some time. To decide is intimidating, because, after all, its *me* taking that decision, it is *me* going that path, which means, there will be an end to it. And that hurts.

-- Ichthyo